When submitting for permits, please have everything ready prior to arriving - completed application, plans stapled in sets, and deposit (see below for 2021 deposit amounts.) We accept checks made payable to "City of Blue Ash". If payment is not included with submittal, we will call for credit card information (Visa or MasterCard only.) Submittals cannot be processed without a deposit. The submittal should be put in an envelope or rubber banded together and dropped off in the Community Development bin marked "Drop-Off Area". For your convenience, there are envelopes in the lobby. If you have questions prior to submitting, please call our office at 513-745-8520. Staff is available by appointment only; however, the Community Development lobby is open for dropping off and picking up during normal office hours, which are Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-4:30 PM. If you need to speak to someone regarding plan review, scheduling an inspection or Code questions, please call
Please scroll down for permit applications, fees, and additional information.
Blue Ash enforces its own Zoning Code; Blue Ash enforces the 2017 Ohio Building Code; 2017 Ohio Mechanical Code; 2017 Ohio Plumbing Code; 2017 National Electric Code NFPA 70; Ohio Energy Code based on 2012 IECC; ASHRAE 90.1 2010; NFPA 13 2016; and NFPA 72 2016. For additional information, click here.
NOTE: 2019 Residential Code Change: Click here for details.
Not all permits in Blue Ash are issued by the City. Please consult with these other jurisdictions at the beginning of your project planning process:
Sanitary Sewer (Utility) - Hamilton County Metropolitan Sewer District - 513-244-5500
Water (Utility) - Greater Cincinnati Water Works - 513-591-7970
Gas & Electric (Utilities) - Duke Energy - 877-700-3853
Plumbing (Work) - Hamilton County General Health District - 513-946-7800
Trying to determine if you need a permit? Visit "Do I Need a Permit?", read the information below, or call the Community Development Office at 513-745-8520.
A Permit is required prior to any regulated construction to ensure compliance with current Code. The City of Blue Ash adopts OBC, the Ohio Building Code, by reference for all commercial construction. A Building Permit application automatically includes review of other applicable Blue Ash Codes, including zoning and fire safety. All non-residential plans must be sealed by an Ohio Registered Design Professional; any plans submitted without a seal will be rejected without being reviewed. "Do I Need a Permit?" describes types of work that require Building and Zoning Permits. If your project involves potential fire or chemical hazards, you should also contact the Blue Ash Fire Department at 513-745-8533 to inquire about additional permit requirements.
Click on the following links for current applications:
2021 PERMIT APPLICATION:
2021 Permit Application - v1 (Revised 1/14/2021)
Form Fill-in: 2021 Permit Application - v1
-For all permit types, including electric, except demo. Demolition permit application is below.
-Click here for General Information for 2021 Permit Application Submittals
-Bond Format: Site Conditions Guarantee
2021 Subsequent Submittal Application - v1 (Revised 1/14/2021)
Form Fill-in: 2021 Subsequent Submittal Application - v1
- Revisions and/or Add'l Info Requested by Plans Examiner - print on blue paper, if possible.
All submittals require a deposit fee:
2021 Blue Ash Non-Refundable Deposit Amounts - Commercial
2021 Blue Ash Non-Refundable Deposit Amounts - Residential
If you are unsure of the deposit amount, please contact Community Development at 513-745-8520. Acceptable methods of payment are checks made payable to "City of Blue Ash" and credit card over the phone. We accept Visa or MasterCard only.
2021 Hamilton County Fee Schedule - 1/1/2021 Edition
NOTE: Depending on the type of project, it could take approximately 10-15 business days for a permit to get issued.
SFR Site Plan Requirements - REVISED July 2016
Garage Sale Permit Application - The completed garage sale application can be emailed to: CDPermits@BlueAsh.com.
Residential Roofing Submittals & OBBS Memo
- Ground signs less than 6-feet in height no longer require a building permit, just zoning only. For zoning submittals, one (1) set of plans with current application and sign information sheet are required. There is currently no fee for a zoning permit.
- If a project contains both ground and wall signs at the same address, two separate submittals are required.
- Wall sign submittals should include the current application, sign information sheet, and two (2) sets of plans. The 2021 non-refundable fee due with wall sign submittals is $122.17. The overall fee assessed will be per sign. After plan review, any balance due will be advised.
- Ground signs greater than 6-feet in height require a building permit. The submittal should include the current application, sign information sheet, and two (2) sets of plans. The 2021 non-refundable fee due with ground sign submittals is $259.05. The overall fee assessed will be per sign. After plan review, any balance due will be advised. Separate zoning permit is required if not all signs exceed 6-feet in height. Please call 513-745-8520 with any questions.
- A face change only (nothing structural) does not require a permit and should not be included on any submittals with multiple signs.
- If adding electric to ground sign, a separate electrical permit is required regardless of height.
SIGN INFORMATION form (required with permit application submittal)
NOTE: Areas on form highlighted in yellow must be filled-in for each sign.
A Demolition Permit is required prior to demolition of any existing structures. The requirement helps to ensure that all matters relating to utilities, taxes, and public safety are properly resolved.
2021 Demolition Permit Application - v1 (Updated 1/14/2021)
Form Fill-in: 2021 Demolition Permit Application - v1
Commercial Tent Permit Information
Temporary Tents - Commercial
Site Work Permits
A Site Work Permit is required prior to undertaking site clearing, cut and fill, or grading on a site, whether or not it is in preparation for construction. Generally, all non-residential projects and all multifamily residential projects will require the approval of the City Engineer. If a site work review is required for small projects that are submitted for a Building Permit, then a separate Site Work Permit may not be required; please call in advance to determine the requirements for your project.
Site Work Permit Application
All permit applications that are submitted to the City of Blue Ash will be reviewed for compliance with Zoning Code regulations. Most approvals are administrative; however, all new non-residential buildings, large additions, changes to developments that were originally approved by a Board, Commission, or Council, construction that does not meet the Zoning Code requirements, and developments in the Downtown district are subject to other approval procedures. Please review the details if your project falls into one of these categories.
Zoning Approvals Page