Community Development


Blue Ash enforces its own Zoning Code; Blue Ash enforces the 2017 Ohio Building Code; 2017 Ohio Mechanical Code; 2017 Ohio Plumbing Code; 2017 National Electric Code NFPA 70; Ohio Energy Code  based on 2012 IECC; ASHRAE 90.1  2010; NFPA 13  2016; and NFPA 72  2016.  For additional information, click here.
     NOTE:  2019 Residential Code Change:  Click here for details.

Not all permits in Blue Ash are issued by the City. Please consult with these other jurisdictions at the beginning of your project planning process:
     Sanitary Sewer (Utility) - Hamilton County Metropolitan Sewer District - 513-244-5500
     Water (Utility) - Greater Cincinnati Water Works - 513-591-7970
     Gas & Electric (Utilities) - Duke Energy - 513-421-9500
     Plumbing (Work) - Hamilton County General Health District - 513-946-7800 

Trying to determine if you need a permit? Visit "Do I Need a Permit?"  or call the Community Development Office at 513-745-8520.


A Permit is required prior to any regulated construction to ensure compliance with current Code. The City of Blue Ash adopts OBC, the Ohio Building Code, by reference for all commercial construction. A Building Permit application automatically includes review of other applicable Blue Ash Codes, including zoning and fire safety. All non-residential plans must be sealed by an Ohio Registered Design Professional; any plans submitted without a seal will be rejected without being reviewed. "Do I Need a Permit?" describes types of work that require Building and Zoning Permits. If your project involves potential fire or chemical hazards, you should also contact the Blue Ash Fire Department at 513-745-8533 to inquire about additional permit requirements. 

Click on the following links for current applications:
2019 Permit Application - v2 (Revised 2/14/19) - Page 2** info only - do not submit
  *For all permit types, except Demo
**Page 2 includes detailed information for new fee requirements that went into effect 9/19/17

2019 Subsequent Submittal Application  - v2 (Revised 2/14/19) - Revisions and/or Add'l Info Requested by Plans Examiner - print on blue paper, if possible.

***EFFECTIVE 1/14/2019***
2019 (1/14/19) Edition Hamilton County Fee Schedule

 Image result for we accept visa mastercard logo

NOTE:  Depending on the type of project, it could take approximately 10-15 business days to receive a permit.  Also, a deposit fee is required with all submittals.  Please contact Community Development at 513-745-8520 for the amount due with the submittal based upon type of permit.

SFR Site Plan Requirements - REVISED July 2016

Garage Sale Permit Application

Residential Roofing Submittals & OBBS Memo

Sign Permits

  1. Ground signs less than 6-feet in height no longer require a building permit, just zoning only.  For zoning submittals, one (1) set of plans with current application and sign information sheet are required. There is currently no fee for a zoning permit.
  2. If a project contains both ground and wall signs at the same address, two separate submittals are required.
  3. Wall sign submittals should include the current application, sign information sheet, and two (2) sets of plans.  The 2019 non-refundable fee due with wall sign submittals is $118.12.  The overall fee assessed will be per sign.  After plan review, any balance due will be advised.
  4. A face change only (nothing structural) does not require a permit.
  5. If adding electric, a separate electrical permit is required regardless of height.

SIGN INFORMATION form (required with permit application submittal)
NOTE:  Areas on form highlighted in yellow must be filled-in for each sign.

Demolition Permits

A Demolition Permit is required prior to demolition of any existing structures. The requirement helps to ensure that all matters relating to utilities, taxes, and public safety are properly resolved. 

2019 Demolition Permit Application - v2 (Updated 4/26/19)

Commercial Tent Permit Information

Temporary Tents - Commercial

Site Work Permits

A Site Work Permit is required prior to undertaking site clearing, cut and fill, or grading on a site, whether or not it is in preparation for construction. Generally, all non-residential projects and all multifamily residential projects will require the approval of the City Engineer. If a site work review is required for small projects that are submitted for a Building Permit, then a separate Site Work Permit may not be required; please call in advance to determine the requirements for your project.

Site Work Permit Application 

Zoning Approvals

All permit applications that are submitted to the City of Blue Ash will be reviewed for compliance with Zoning Code regulations. Most approvals are administrative; however, all new non-residential buildings, large additions, changes to developments that were originally approved by a Board, Commission, or Council, construction that does not meet the Zoning Code requirements, and developments in the Downtown district are subject to other approval procedures. Please review the details if your project falls into one of these categories.

Zoning Approvals Page