Tax Office



Tax Office Home



What is Blue Ash’s tax rate?

Effective January 1, 2007, it is 1.25% on all wages and net profits. 

(Back to Top)

Who must file? (updated beginning with 2016 tax year)

Beginning with tax year 2016, all residents 18 and over will be required to file a Blue Ash tax return regardless of whether tax is owed.  The first mandatory filing will be due by April 18, 2017.  (click here for listing of Addresses in Blue Ash limits)

The base compensation includes wages, commissions, tips, deferred compensation, etc. (Pensions, interest and dividends are not taxable.) Residents who have net profits from the operation of a business, profession or other enterprise or activity are required to file each year, even if a loss occurs. Residents also must file if they receive a refund from another city or if they own rental property with a $3,000 or greater gross annual rental that is not taxed by another municipality. 

All corporations, unincorporated businesses, professions etc. with net profits derived from sales made, work done or services performed within the City, must file. 

If you are a non-resident working in Blue Ash and your employer has withheld Blue Ash tax of 1.25% of qualifying wages (generally Box 5), you do not have to file a return.

If you have any question on whether or not you need to file, please contact the Tax Office at 513-745-8516, or E-mail 

(Back to Top)

What is considered taxable wages for employer withholding purposes?

Employers are required to withhold on all “qualifying wages” which are wages as defined in the Internal Revenue Code Section 3121(a), generally the Medicare wage box of the form W-2. Medicare exempt employees are subject to the tax for “qualifying wages” even though that box remains blank. Qualifying wages include, but are not limited to, stock options and deferred compensation. 

(Back to Top)

When are withholding payments due? (updated beginning with 2016 tax year)

Withholding payments are due monthly on or before the 15th of the month following such withholding. If the taxes withheld are less than $2,400 per year, payments may be made quarterly on or before the last day of the month following the end of the quarter.

(Back to Top)

What is the due date for annual tax returns? 

Annual tax returns are due on or before April 15th or the 15th of the fourth month following the end of such fiscal year. The due date may be adjusted to the next business day when the 15th falls on a weekend. 

(Back to Top)

I can’t complete my form in time … can I get an extension? (updated beginning with 2016 tax year)

An extension may be requested by any business or individual unable to complete their tax return by the deadline.  Forms are available online.  Beginning with tax year 2016, obtaining a federal extension will automatically extend your Blue Ash due date to the approved federal date.  However, the federal government does not share information with the City of Blue Ash, so it is recommended that a Blue Ash form be completed and remitted to the City.

An extension of time to file is NOT an extension of time to pay.  Payment of any balance due must accompany a request for extension to file. Penalty and interest are charged for late filing and late payment.

(Back to Top)

Are estimated payments required, and when are they due? (updated beginning with 2016 tax year)

If your estimated tax liability is more than $200 for any given fiscal year, estimated payments are required. Your first payment is due when filing the previous year’s tax return and then by June 15th, September 15th and December 15th for the second, third and fourth quarter payments respectively. For fiscal year filers the quarterly due dates are the 15th days of the fourth, sixth, ninth, and twelfth months. 

(Back to Top)

What is the purpose of the questionnaire that I receive occasionally? 

The questionnaire process is used to keep tax records current and to fairly administer the tax ordinance.  Updating
the questionnaire also helps to insure you continue to receive benefits of being a Blue Ash resident without interruption (Recreation Center membership, trash service, etc.).

(Back to Top)

I own rental property in Blue Ash, what do I need to do? 

A landlord questionnaire must be completed and filed with our office.  All owners of rental property are required to notify the Tax Office of any change of tenants and/or vacancy within 30 days of the occurrences. 

(Back to Top)