Hunt / Plainfield Roundabouts
Welcome to the HAM-Plainfield Roundabout Construction Project update and timeline page. Below you will find information on the project with the most current information at the top. Click here to jump down to the FAQ, additional project documents, and videos of virtual models and traffic simulations.
The project is now complete! It consists of three roundabouts:
- Kroger entrance on Hunt Road (completed)
- Plainfield Road and Hunt Road (completed)
- Plainfield Road and Peppermill Lane (completed)
Do you have questions about the project? Email: PlainfieldRoundabout@primeeng.com.
Thank you for your patience as the City of Blue Ash improved safety and traffic flow for motorists and pedestrians.
08/10/23 Roundabout update
The HAM-Plainfield Roundabout Project, consisting of three roundabouts in the busy Plainfield Road corridor in Blue Ash, is now complete!
While all three roundabouts are open, there will be some minor follow-up work at the Plainfield and Peppermill roundabout. Also, the Public Works and Parks Departments are working together to develop final landscaping plans for the construction area. This will include center island landscaping and stone veneers on the walls of the Plainfield and Peppermill roundabout.
The roundabouts were constructed to improve traffic flow, ease congestion, and increase safety for motorists and pedestrians. This was especially important at the Plainfield and Hunt intersection, which had been on the list of the most dangerous intersections in Ohio.
The total cost of the project from engineering to completion was approximately $15 million, with $11 million, or 73%, of the funding provided by federal grants. Construction began in September of 2021.
The City would like to thank you for your patience as the project was completed.
To learn more about roundabouts, how to drive in them, and how they improve safety, visit www.blueash.com/roundabouts.
07/14/23 Plainfield/Peppermill Roundabout update – nearly done!
The Peppermill/Plainfield roundabout is nearing completion! When it is done, it will be a multi-lane roundabout. The graphic above shows you how to navigate it. (To see the graphic as a PDF, click here.) Remember the #RoundaboutRules:
06/29/23 Plainfield/Peppermill Roundabout update – it’ll all be over soon!
Milling and paving work will be underway for the next couple of weeks, weather permitting. As the work continues, expect some traffic delays and temporary closures, mainly at night.
06/05/23 Plainfield/Peppermill Roundabout update – almost done!
Phase 3 east island and sidewalk construction starts on 6/7: Peppermill Road will be temporarily closed 9a-3p for about a week as the roundabout is completed. Barrels are shown as dots in the diagram. All work is weather permitting. Do you have questions about the project? Email: PlainfieldRoundabout@primeeng.com. Please use caution and slow down in the work zones.
04/27/23 Plainfield/Peppermill Roundabout update – the home stretch!
On Thursday, March 9, Southbound Reed Hartman to Plainfield was reduced from 2 lanes down to 1. Eastbound Old Plainfield was reduced from 2 lanes to 1 lane. Existing lines on State Route 126's ramp will also be touched up to be more visible.
Next week, pavement and excavation will occur on Southbound Reed Hartman and some on Southbound Plainfield.
10/27/22 Roundabout Update
Crews are nearing completion on the Plainfield/Hunt roundabout! Paving work will lead to temporary closures between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. tonight (10/27).
8/26/22 Roundabout update
The HAM-Plainfield Roundabouts Project is over halfway completed!
The Plainfield/Hunt intersection is now a single-lane roundabout (pictured above). The single-lane configuration is temporary and will allow crews to construct the permanent islands in the roundabout.
Work on the Plainfield/Peppermill roundabout will ramp up in the next few weeks with the closure of Peppermill Road at Plainfield. Residents of Peppermill Road will receive direct communication regarding the closure.
8/12/22 Roundabout update
On August 14, the Plainfield/Hunt intersection will become a single-lane roundabout. Barrels will be in place to guide motorists through the roundabout. The single-lane configuration is temporary and will allow crews to construct the permanent islands in the roundabout. All work is weather permitting. Click here to view a PDF of the plans for the island construction phases.
7/28/22 Roundabout updatePlainfield/Hunt:
- Currently in progress – cement stabilization; storm sewer, underdrain, and aggregate installation
- ≈7/29 – curb and sidewalk installation begins
- ≈8/8 – paving begins
- ≈8/12 – traffic switch to single-lane roundabout configuration
- ≈Late August – island construction begins
7/11/2022 HAM-Plainfield Roundabout construction update
On Wednesday (7/13), traffic on Plainfield Road will be shifted from the west side of the roadway over to the new pavement on the east side of the roadway.
6/10/2022 HAM-Plainfield Roundabout construction update
A Plainfield Road traffic switch will occur on 6/12:
- North and Southbound Plainfield Road will be down to one lane in each direction
- Entrances for Evans Auto and the Carthage Mills office complex will be moved from Plainfield Road to Hunt Road
5/5/2022 HAM-Plainfield Roundabout construction update
Late next week:
At the Hunt & Plainfield intersection, traffic will be routed on the new roadway (pictured below) and use the new traffic signal.
5/3/2022 HAM-Plainfield Roundabout construction update
- Work is progressing on the new Hunt Rd alignment where Speedway and Marathon stations were located - concrete, gravel roadway base, curb and gutter work is ongoing
- Temporary traffic signals have been put up and covered
- Newly installed temporary traffic signal will be activated this week
- Pedestrian detour (see map above): south on Plainfield to cross Plainfield at Georgetown
Hunt and Plainfield:
4/6/2022 HAM-Plainfield Roundabout construction update
- On Friday night, Lane restrictions will begin on the off-ramp of Cross County Hwy and on Hunt Road. Also, PNC Bank’s Hunt Road entrance will be closed to allow for excavation work on the former Speedway site.
- Excavation is underway at the former Speedway site (photo). Next steps will include cement stabilization and curb work.
- On Friday night, lanes will be narrowed for the installation of temporary pavement.
- On Friday night, fire hydrant relocation work will begin near McDonald’s.
3/25/2022 HAM-Plainfield Roundabout construction update
- Water line installation will continue near the Peppermill and Reed Hartman intersection. This will be followed by pressure testing of the water main and then connecting it to the existing system.
- Storm sewer installation work will continue on Hunt Road.
- Concrete crews will begin the installation of a temporary sidewalk near Plainfield Road to allow for the construction of the Peppermill roundabout.
- Temporary traffic signal poles will be installed at the Peppermill and Reed Hartman intersection.
3/11/2022 HAM-Plainfield Roundabout construction update
- Expect lane closures and delays at the Reed Hartman Peppermill intersection starting Monday (3/14) for water main work
- Retaining wall construction continues with concrete pouring over the next few weeks
- Underground conduit installation continues
- Concrete island and storm sewer construction underway
2/25/2022 HAM-Plainfield Roundabout construction update
- Plainfield/Peppermill roundabout
- Retaining wall construction continues with concrete pouring over the next few weeks (photos above)
- Underground conduit installation continues next week
- Hunt/Kroger roundabout
- concrete island and storm sewer construction starts next week
2/11/2022 HAM-Plainfield Roundabout construction update
- Plainfield/Peppermill roundabout:
- Retaining wall work continues. Expected to be completed by Friday 2/25.
- Hunt/Kroger roundabout:
- The roundabout is open to traffic, however; the contractor will continue to finish the concrete islands, sidewalks, and pavers.
- Upcoming Winter work:
- The contractor will continue to install storm sewers in front of the PNC Bank entrance followed by waterline work along Plainfield and Hunt Roads.
2/2/2022 HAM-Plainfield Roundabout construction update
The Hunt/Kroger roundabout is now officially open. Watch the following video for the #RoundaboutRules to keep you safe:
1/11/22 HAM-Plainfield RAB construction update
- Duke Energy is completing gas relocation work in the area
- Crews will use thermoplastic spray paint to create long-lasting and highly-visible road markings
- The roundabout is expected to open later this month
Retaining Wall Construction at Peppermill Lane (photo above):
- Excavation has begun to allow for a level pad for the drill rig to drill 24” shafts roughly 15’ into the ground
- Steel H-piles will be placed in the shafts which will then be filled with concrete. These drilled shafts will support the retaining wall
- Peppermill Lane will remain open while crews work on the retaining wall
12/30/21 HAM-Plainfield RAB construction update
- Expected to open next week, weather permitting
- Crews will remain in the area to finish the curb and sidewalk
- Crews will begin moving equipment and materials into the northeast corner of Plainfield and Peppermill on January 3
- Crews will set up a single right lane closure on Plainfield Road northbound between the hours of 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Peppermill Lane will remain open to traffic. Occasional short term flagging operations may be needed for equipment/material deliveries
- Excavation for the retaining wall begins on January 4
- Drilling operation for the retaining wall begins on January 10
- PRIME employees placed approximately 40 informational door hangers on residents’ doors in the Peppermill neighborhood
- Retaining wall work is expected to last 45 days
- The Peppermill Road closure for roundabout construction will not occur until summer/fall of 2022
12/23 HAM-Plainfield RAB construction update
- The contractor anticipates the roundabout to be opened in the next few weeks, weather permitting.
- Once the roundabout is open, construction crews will still be in the area to finish curb and sidewalk.
- Crews plan to begin moving equipment and materials for the Peppermill retaining wall the week of January 3.
- Construction on the roundabout at Plainfield and Peppermill will not occur until summer/fall 2022.
All work is weather permitting. Remember to drive safely and slowly through the construction zone.
(Photos: McDonald's entrance open -right turn in and right turn out only, truck apron asphalt)
12/17 HAM-Plainfield RAB construction update
- a small area of Hunt Road is being paved today
- Decorative bricks will be installed in the truck apron next week
- The contractor anticipates the roundabout will be open to traffic at the end of the year
- Peppermill retaining wall construction planned for the week of January 10
(photos: new curb at McDonald's entrance, new storm sewer on Hunt Rd., crews pour interior curb at Hunt and Kroger roundabout)
(December 3, 2021 - Blue Ash)
- Pavement on the south side of the Hunt/Kroger roundabout and McDonald's entrance is being placed today and tomorrow.
- Sidewalk and lighting conduit will be installed next week.
- McDonald's entrance on Hunt Road will open on 12/10.
(November 15, 2021 - Blue Ash) UPDATE: The traffic pattern switch outlined below will occur at 6:00 p.m. this evening (11/15).
(November 9, 2021 - Blue Ash) UPDATE: The following work has been delayed one day and will begin on 11/11/21, weather permitting.
11/9 HAM-PLAINFIELD Roundabouts construction update: A new traffic pattern will be in place this Friday (weather permitting) at the construction site for the Hunt Road/Kroger roundabout. Traffic flow will be moved onto newly paved lanes at the location.
(October 29, 2021 - Blue Ash)
(photos: new fire hydrant, cement stabilization, curing compound application)
10/29 HAM-Plainfield RAB construction update:
- Work Completed this week:
- Old fire hydrant on Hunt Rd. at Kroger entrance removed
- New fire hydrant installed on Hunt Rd. at Kroger entrance
- All storm sewer in this phase was finished
- Cement stabilization on Hunt Rd. at Kroger entrance
- This process involved mixing cement and water into the soil to strengthen it, providing a more durable and longer-lasting road
- White curing compound was sprayed on top to seal in the moisture to allow for the cement to cure
- Work scheduled for next week:
- Aggregate base to be compacted within the Hunt roadway limits
- Concrete curb, gutter, sidewalk installation at Kroger entrance
- Underground storage tank removal at old Marathon site
- Asphalt paving on Hunt Rd expected to occur the week of 11/8/21
(October 15, 2021 - Blue Ash)
(photos: Setting 30,000 lb. structure with crane, sand backfill around storm pipe and structures, excavation for WQS)
10/15 HAM-Plainfield RAB Construction update: the following work is scheduled to be completed this week and next week:
- Excavation for storm sewer and the Water Quality Structure (WQS) continued this week on Hunt Rd at the west Kroger entrance. Learn more about the WQS here.
- Installation of the WQS was completed today.
- The structure weighed approximately 30,000 lbs (15 tons).
- The old Marathon Gas station demolition will be wrapped up this week.
- The Underground Storage Tanks are slated to be removed next week.
- Work next week on Hunt Rd includes:
- Completing storm sewer installations
- (Relocating one fire hydrant
- Final pavement removal and subgrade preparation for upcoming Cement Stabilization (week of 10/25)
(October 1, 2021 - Blue Ash)
(photos: compacting dirt on Speedway lot, business entrance sign, stockpiled water line, and storm sewer pipe)
10/1 HAM-Plainfield RAB Construction update: Hunt Rd Phase 2 is underway and is expected to last 4-6 weeks. Please slow down and use caution when driving through the work zone.
- Speedway demolition, tank removal, and dirt backfill is wrapping up today
- The Western Kroger entrance is now closed
- WB Hunt traffic is to enter at the McDonald's entrance
- EB Hunt traffic is to enter at the PNC entrance
- There are signs up to help direct traffic into the shopping center
Next week: Marathon station demolition and storm sewer installation at the West Kroger entrance.
(September 20, 2021 - Blue Ash)
Speedway Tank Removal, Temporary pavement, testing Speedway soil for contamination
Phase 2 begins this week with the closure of the west Kroger entrance. Motorists will use the McDonald’s entrance to access Kroger during the next 4-6 weeks.
(July 13, 2021 - Blue Ash)
You will see an increase in activity as the HAM-Plainfield Roundabout Project ramps up in Blue Ash.
Several steps need to be completed before the road construction work begins in September.
Demolition of the Speedway and Marathon Gas stations at the corner of Plainfield Road and Hunt Road is expected to begin in late July/early August and should take several weeks to complete.
Lane closures and some night work will take place as Duke Energy gas pipeline work is completed on Hunt Road.
Cincinnati Bell is installing underground conduit in front of the Marathon Station and Evans Auto, then crews will install overhead cable on the new Duke Energy Utility poles along Hunt Road.
Under the current plan, the roundabouts will be constructed in this order:
- Kroger entrance on Hunt Road
- Plainfield Road and Hunt Road
- Plainfield Road and Peppermill Lane
Once complete, these roundabouts will greatly improve safety and ease traffic congestion well into the future.
Thank you for your patience during construction.
(May 19, 2021 - Blue Ash)
The City of Blue Ash is about to begin construction of three roundabouts that will help improve safety and ease traffic congestion through the City.
At the May 13 City Council meeting, Council unanimously awarded the bid for the project, dubbed the HAM-Plainfield Road project, to R.B. Jergens Contractors, Inc.
Construction is expected to begin in the next few months.
Under the current plan, the roundabouts will be constructed in this order:
- Kroger entrance on Hunt Road
- Plainfield Road and Hunt Road
- Plainfield Road and Peppermill Lane
You may see work simultaneously at the different sites as crews prep the areas.
Currently, Duke Energy and other utility providers are in the process of relocating above-ground utilities at the intersection of Plainfield Road and Hunt Road to make way for the project.
During the next step of the project, crews will be demolishing the Speedway and Marathon gas stations at the corner of Plainfield and Hunt.
Traffic will be maintained during the construction process, though there may be lane closures from time to time. The only road closure is expected late this year and/or early next year when Peppermill Road will be shut down at Plainfield Road. Updates will be posted at blueash.com.
The total cost of the project from engineering to completion is approximately $15 million, with $11 million, or 73%, of the funding provided by federal grants.
Thank you for your patience as the City of Blue Ash completes this project. These roundabouts will greatly improve safety at these intersections and ease traffic congestion well into the future.
The roundabouts are scheduled to be completed in October of 2022.
For an up to date timeline of this project from ODOT, visit: https://ellisproj.dot.state.oh.us/ScheduleData.aspx?pid=103416
Frequently Asked Questions
Hunt/Plainfield Corridor Timeline
Additional Project Documents- Studies, Reports, Additional Information
Stage 3 Plans - Hunt & Plainfield Road Roundabouts
Stage 2 Plans - Hunt & Plainfield Road Roundabouts
Plans - Hunt & Plainfield Road Roundabouts
2D rendering of HAM - Plainfield Road Roundabouts
3D rendering of HAM - Plainfield Road Roundabouts
Letter mailed to adjacent property owners
June 18, 2019, Open House Invitation
Plainfield & Peppermill Peak PM Hour Simulation - 10x traffic speed
Hunt Road Corridor Peak PM Hour Simulation
Virtual Model Projecting PM Traffic Year 2040